Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Can We Fix It With Duct Tape?

Yes, I know it's been awhile since I posted. I am still alive...and drawing *gasp* As part of my return to blogging, I wanted to post a piece to Society 6, a kind of Etsy for 2D artists. A friend introduced me to it recently and I fell in love. In case you're unfamiliar, here's the link. http://society6.com/
Lot of great work there.

Since I hoped to print at the largest size Society 6 allows, I set my dimensions accordingly in Photoshop. However, this was the first time I worked that large digitally. So, I set the size to roughly 28 x 32 and the dpi to 300... If you have no idea what that means, I essentially made my file 3-5 times larger than it needed to be. Oops. It took Photoshop crashing my computer for me to realize that I'd made a big mistake. My image files were around half a gig each!

So after reading up on how to deal with large format in Photoshop, I realized that I could have worked in a lower dpi or dimensions... Well, live and learn. :P  In the mean time, it's nice to know I can make prints that cover my entire office wall.

If you're interested in buying prints, t-shirts, etc., here's the society 6 page
http://society6.com/nudel/Can-We-Fix-It-With-Duct-Tape_Print
house sized prints not available :P

Original Print

T-shirt Design
My inspiration was a response to how to mend a broken heart... can we fix it with duct tape?

It went through several iterations...cartoony, dark and brooding...I even had an amorphous painterly background at one point. I finally decided on symmetrical patterning with a little decay. Was very fun to make. More to come in the future :D

No comments:

Post a Comment